From side-swept waves to long layers, here are the best haircuts for long face shapes.
There isn't just one best haircut for a long face. You have multiple options when it comes to flattering hairstyles that will balance out your facial proportions. First, check that you know your face shape, then pick from these six best haircuts for long faces.
Do I have a long-shaped face?
As well as "long," the other main types of face shape are: heart, diamond, oval, square and round. The goal is to make your face appear the most symmetric and oval-shaped as possible using cutting and styling techniques. To be sure you really have a long face, check the following...
1. Your face is considerably longer than it is wide.
2. Your forehead, cheekbones and jaw-line have the same width.
3. Your chin and forehead may look particularly long
4. If you were to trace around your face, it would be slightly thinner than an egg-shape.
Remember, it is common to have a face that contains elements of different shapes: like rounded heart, or long oval for example. If in doubt, ask your stylist for a professional diagnosis.
6 of the best haircuts for long faces
Whether you've short, long, thick or thin hair, here's our selection of the best haircuts for long faces in particular.
One of the best haircuts for a long oval face is a long side-swept wavy style. By allowing some of your hair to fall over the forehead, you give the impression that your face is less elongated.
For naturally straight hair, face-framing layers and a side part can achieve the same result. Ask your stylist to have the front sections hit just at your cheekbone level to give the impression of a wider, more symmetric shape.
A good hairstyle for a long face with thin hair is a shoulder-length layered lob (long bob). By focusing the volume around the ear and shoulder level using layering techniques, the eye is drawn away from the vertical shape of your face, and centers on the horizontal instead.
The most effective way of cutting off a few inches from your forehead is through a set of blunt bangs - Ideal for those with naturally thicker hair. For a more subtle alternative, sideswept bangs also do a good job at reducing the length of your face.
The ideal bob for long faces is chin-length or just below, with the volume focused around the ear level. To ensure it doesn't fall flat throughout the day, use a spray like Tecni.ART's Densite , a thickening spray that provides hair with density and root elevation.
Side braided beauty
Usually, long hairstyles are a no-go for long face shapes. However, there is one exception: the side braid. A thick, slightly messy plait slung over one shoulder will distract the eye from your naturally-long face shape. For naturally shiny hair that has a tendency to slip out of braids, use a mattifying texturizing powder like the Next Day Hair hairspray from Wild Stylers .
Extra bonus: Other tips for making a long face appear more oval
• Make-up: use contouring techniques to add shadow to the top and bottom of your face to shorten its appearance.
• Accessories: a statement pair of large chunky shades can bring all the attention right to the middle of your face. Avoid, however, glasses that extend past the widest part of your face. Round earrings can also help bring the appearance of width.
• Outfit: take that neck scarf off (anything that accentuates a long neck will also make your face look longer) and tie it around your head as a contemporary headband to reduce the appearance of your forehead.